The Government has made it mandatory to quote Aadhaar for PAN applications & for filing of income tax returns. The last date to link Aadhaar with PAN card has been further extended to March 31, 2018. Here are different ways to link Aadhaar with PAN.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN
Link your 12-digit Aadhaar number with PAN
– Visit https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
– Click on the link in the left pane-> Link Aadhaar
– Add necessary details on the next screen
– If the details match, input your Aadhaar card number, CAPTCHA code and click on “Link Aadhaar”
– Once matched, you will see a message saying linking was completed successfully
Name on Aadhaar and PAN doesn’t match
– For minor mismatch in Aadhaar name, OTP will be sent to the number registered with Aadhaar
– Ensure date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly same
– If case the name does not match at all, the linking will fail
Registered for Aadhaar but only have the enrolment number
– Visit an enrolment centre and apply for Aadhaar (if not done already)
– Receive acknowledgement slip on submission of documents, demographic and biometric data
– This acknowledgement slip has enrolment number, as well as date and time
– This entire sequence – enrolment number + date + time is your 28-digit enrolment number
* Income Tax return forms have a field for 12-digit Aadhaar number / 28-digit enrolment number
Link Aadhaar and PAN via SMS
– Send an SMS to either 567678 or 56161 in the following format: UIDPAN<space><12 digit Aadhaar number><Space><10 digit PAN>
As per a notification from the Ministry of Finance, these provisions will not apply to an individual who does not possess the Aadhaar number or the enrolment number and is:
(i) residing in the States of Assam, Jammu and Kashmir and Meghalaya;
(ii) a non-resident as per the Income-tax Act, 1961;
(iii) of the age of eighty years or more at any time during the previous year;
(iv) not a citizen of India
* Earlier this month, a petition was filed in the Supreme Court, challenging the Government’s decision to make this linking mandatory. The court has reserved its order on validity of Section 139AA of Income Tax Act which provides for compulsory quoting of Aadhaar for filing of income tax returns and for making application for allotment of PAN number from July 1 this year.
* The Supreme Court has granted a partial stay on this – click here for details of the judgement.
* On July 31, the Income Tax Department issued a press release confirming that it has extended the deadline for linking Aadhaar with PAN to August 31, 2017. It also clarified that for e-filing returns, it was sufficient to quote Aadhaar or enrolment number, but the return would be processed only after the linking has actually been completed.
* On August 31, the government has further extended the deadline to link Aadhaar with PAN by four months, so the revised date is now December 31, 2017. Petitions challenging the government’s decision in this regard will now be heard by the Supreme Court in November.
* On December 08, the government has yet again extended the deadline to link Aadhaar with PAN, so the revised date is now March 31, 2018.
Go cashless, download Walnut and send money directly from debit card to bank account, FREE!